Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Do You Hear What I Hear?

This week we have enjoyed activities planned around our sense of hearing.  Children enjoyed making instruments. 

The Den Den Drums were a huge hit.  The only thing I did differently, was add a colourful mini jingle bell to the end after the beads on either side... added a nice additional sound to the instrument.   

We also made Pringles can shaker drums.  We added macaroni (you can use rice, but we wanted a louder sound... popcorn kernals work well, but I was out of those) to the inside of the can and a balloon to the open top... the balloon slips on easily on this sized can.  We then decorated the can with construction paper.  I added an elastic over the balloon to secure it and then the children glued their decorative strip over that.  We finished it all off by adding foamie stickers.  They enjoyed drumming the beat on the balloon and of course shaking to make extra noise.  The only thing I would do differently is collect the mini Pringles cans ahead of time... I think they would make a nicer size for the instrument.



Here are some songs we enjoyed at circle time...

Did You Ever Hear (Sung To: Did You Ever See A Lassie?")

Did you ever hear a whistle, a whistle, a whistle
Did you ever hear a whistle
It sounds like this
(whistle sound)
Did you ever hear the wind blow, the wind blow, the wind blow
Did you ever hear the wind blow
It sounds like this
(blowing wind sound)
Did you ever hear fingers snapping, fingers snapping, fingers snapping
Did you ever hear fingers snapping
It sounds like this
(snapping sound)

Stop and Listen
~Charlotte Diamond~

Slightly off topic, but I just have to say that I absolutely LOVE Charlotte Diamond and have several of her cd's.  I was so happy to have found her when my daughter was in the early grades of French Immersion - it was great to have some fun French cd's to listen to! If you are looking at expanding your children's music library, I highly recommend her cd's. 

Using the sound files from GRSites Free Sound Effects Archive, we played 'What's That Sound?' and I also created a lotto game (can also be played as a Bingo game) where the children had to listen to the sounds to cover their cards.  Unfortunately,  I cannot share the game due to the TOU on some of the images I used, but you can visit the sound site, pick your sound clips, and then match images from the net to create your own Sound Lotto or Sound Bingo game.

Always fun to watch the Sesame Street characters and here is their rendition of  I Am A Fine Musician.

Last, but not least, we explored our collection of musical instruments - playing the different instruments, listening to the sounds, and creating a band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment