Wednesday, 8 June 2016

The Carrot Seed

I introduced a plant unit with the book The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss.  This is such a fun and simple book for the children to actively participate in.  

We made handprint carrots.  The children painted the carrot template and when dry, glued it onto another piece of paper.  They then stamped their handprint for the leaves.






We made stuffed felt carrots which we used to retell the story.





We studied plants and how they grow and planted a mini farm.




 I printed this sequencing activity for the children.  We used the sheet while reading the story and then afterwards, they coloured the pictures.

Our Country Road Montessori has additional activities based on the book.

We retold the story in song...

The Carrot Seed

One day a little boy planted a carrot seed.

A carrot grows from carrot seeds
I planted one to grow it
I watered it
I pulled the weeds
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

Every day the little boy watered his plant and pulled the weeds.
His Mother came to look and said, "It won't come up."
And the little boy answered...

A carrot grows from carrot seeds
I planted one to grow it
I watered it
I pulled the weeds
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

The boy continued to care for his carrot seed by watering it and pulling the weeds.
His Father came to look and said, "It won't come up."
And the little boy answered...

A carrot grows from carrot seeds
I planted one to grow it
I watered it
I pulled the weeds
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

The boy continued to care for his carrot seed by watering it and pulling the weeds.
His brother came to look and said,  "It won't come up."
And the little boy answered...

A carrot grows from carrot seeds
I planted one to grow it
I watered it
I pulled the weeds
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

Then one day 'pop' the carrot started to grow.
Just like the little boy knew it would BECAUSE...

A carrot grows from carrot seeds
I planted one to grow it
I watered it
I pulled the weeds
Carrots grow from carrot seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment