Monday, 8 July 2013

Canada

This summer our theme is 'Around the World in 30 Days'.  We will be exploring various countries around the world and sampling some traditional cuisine.

We started our journey last week in our home and native land, Canada.  Kidzone has information and printables for every province and territory.

One of our favourite songs about Canada is C-A-N-A-D-A by Raffi.  Michael Mitchell is another favourite Canadian children's singer/songwriter.  Enjoy I've Got Canada In My Pocket and learn a little about the history of Canadian coins.

Many animals make Canada their home and are associated with Canada.  We discussed beavers, the Canada goose, and of course moose.  Visit Robert Munsch's website to listen to the story Moose.  As an FYI - if you read the blurb about the story, he first told it in Geraldton... my home town!!!!  Take a gander at a map and you will see that I am truly a Northern Ontario gal ;).  Enjoy the Ontario theme song.   

After listening to the Moose story, we made paper bag moose puppets.



Bannock is a traditional aboriginal recipe.  We created this version and as you can see from the pictures, it was a big hit with the children!


 

Come back next week to visit France with us!

2 comments:

  1. HI Ruth
    I've been following your blog for awhile and today's post about Canada caught my eye. I live on the west coast now but finished my ECE at Confederation College in Thunder Bay. When you mentioned Geraldton I thought of a friend that I went to college with, Pamela Ten Hoeve (her married name). I'm not sure when you moved away from there but thought maybe you new her.
    Thanks for reminding of the great songs about Canada, I've pinned them.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen - I moved away long ago, but I know the name... just can't place a face to it. Small World! I took my ECE in Sudbury, but Confederation was my second choice!

    ReplyDelete