Saturday, 20 April 2013

Sail Away

I'd love to be able to say that I was on vacation, but 'sail away' refers to this past week's theme which was water transportation.   

It was a very busy week with lots of rain which meant we did not get out for our full active playtime and that led to a very active group during activity time so I must apologize for the lack of pictures this week.  One of my little childcare girls drew the most amazing pictures of Scuffy and I MEANT to snap a photo which didn't happen and I remembered after they had gone for the day on Friday with their crafts in tow!

We watched Scuffy the Tugboat on You Tube and also read the book which led to a discussion of some of the differences between the two that the children noticed.  One little observer even noticed that the boy has brown hair in the book and blonde in the movie!

We drew pictures of boats, made milk carton boats, and paper boats.  I always forget how to do the paper folding and found these easy to follow directions.

Some songs we enjoyed this week are...

Yellow Submarine by the Beatles - lyrics can be found on You Tube

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a dream.

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the stream
Ha, ha, fooled you
I'm a submarine.

My Ship Sailed From China

My ship sailed from China
With a cargo of tea
All laden with treasures
For you and for me
They brought me a fan
Just imagine my bliss
When I found myself daily
Like this, like this, like this, like this. (fan with one hand)

My ship sailed from China
With a cargo of tea
All laden with treasures
For you and for me
They brought me a fan
Just imagine my bliss
When I found myself daily
Like this, like this, like this, like this. (fan with both hands)

My ship sailed from China
With a cargo of tea
All laden with treasures
For you and for me
They brought me a fan
Just imagine my bliss
When I found myself daily
Like this, like this, like this, like this. (fan with both hands and one leg)

My ship sailed from China
With a cargo of tea
All laden with treasures
For you and for me
They brought me a fan
Just imagine my bliss
When I found myself daily
Like this, like this, like this, like this. (fan with both hands and both legs)

Fisherman's Ship

When I was one I hurt my thumb
Going over the sea
I jumped aboard a fisherman's ship
And the fisherman said to me
"Going over, going under
Stand at attention like a soldier
With a 1 - 2 - 3."

When I was two I tied my shoe
Going over the sea
I jumped aboard a fisherman's ship
And the fisherman said to me
"Going over, going under
Stand at attention like a soldier
With a 1 - 2 - 3."

When I was three I bumped my knee
Going over the sea
I jumped aboard a fisherman's ship
And the fisherman said to me
"Going over, going under
Stand at attention like a soldier
With a 1 - 2 - 3."

When I was four I shut a door
Going over the sea
I jumped aboard a fisherman's ship
And the fisherman said to me
"Going over, going under
Stand at attention like a soldier
With a 1 - 2 - 3."

When I was five I took a dive
Going over the sea
I jumped aboard a fisherman's ship
And the fisherman said to me
"Going over, going under
Stand at attention like a soldier
With a 1 - 2 - 3."

I created this boat subtraction game for my crew :)

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment