Monday, 8 April 2013

All Aboard

Chugga-chugga-choo-choo... we have started our Rail unit this week.  We will be discussing passenger trains, freight trains, and subways.  Being a 'suburb' of Toronto, many of the children have been on either a Go Train (passenger commuter train) or the subway so they can relate to this unit which makes it fun... and everyone seems to love trains! 

We created trains the children can pull out of boxes and a shape train for craft.  The children are enjoying the unit and have been drawing trains during free craft time.  My daughter is on a trip so I don't have my camera here to take pictures.

I also have the Little Tikes Road and Rail system set up in the room.

Songs we are enjoying are...

I've Been Working On The Railroad

I've been working on the railroad
All the live long day
I've been working on the railroad
Just to pass the time away
Can't you hear the whistle blowing
Rise up so early in the morn
Can't you hear the whistle blowing
Dinah, blow your horn.

Dinah, won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow your hor-or-orn
Dinah, won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow
Dinah, won't you blow your horn.

Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah
Someone's in the kitchen I know-ow-ow-ow
Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah
Strumming on her old banjo
Singing fee-fie-fiddle-i-o
Fee-fie-fiddle-i-o-o-o-o
Fee-fie-fiddle-i-oooooo
Strumming on her old banjo.

Down By The Station

Down by the station
Early in the morning
See the little pufferbellies
All in a row
See the station master
Turn the little handle
Chug chug puff puff
Off they go.

Down by the station
Early in the morning
See the shiny train cars
All in a row
Waitin' to get hitched up
And go on their adventure
Chug chug puff puff
Off they go.

Down by the station
 Early in the morning
 See my favorite engine
 Ready to tow
 All the other train cars
 Will follow on behind him
 Chug chug puff puff
 Off they go.

Down by the station
Early in the morning
Climb on aboard
And hear the whistle blow
Mr. Conductor
Please take my ticket
Chug chug puff puff
Off we go.

Train Whistle Blowing

Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise
Underneath their blankets go all the girls and boys
Heading from the station, out along the bay
All bound for Morningtown, many miles away.

(Child's Name)'s at the engine, (Child's Name) rings the bell
(Child's Name) swings the lantern to show that all is well
Rocking, rolling, riding, out along the bay
All bound for Morningtown, many miles away.

Maybe it is raining where our train will ride
But all the little travelers are snug and warm inside
Somewhere there is sunshine, somewhere there is day
Somewhere there is Morningtown, many miles away.

Little Red Caboose

Little red caboose chug, chug, chug
Little red caboose chug, chug, chug
Little red caboose behind the train whoo-whoo
Smoke stack on its
Back, back, back, back
Coming down the
Track, track, track, track
Little red caboose behind the train
Last car on the end, end, end, end
Racin' round the bend, bend, bend, bend
Little red caboose behind the train.

The Little Engine That Could movie can be found on You Tube.  I have several activities planned around this story.

I created a Little Engine That Could emergent reader and a alphabet train game for the children.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome..Ruth...great additives to my HUGE file of yours...thanks so much...
    hugs..
    shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth I just love all your printables. I have a small request if it possible, can you make an alphabet train in black and white. I am very limited on color printing. I prefer to use colored construction paper or card stock.Easier on the pocket book if you know what I mean. I know how busy you are so whenever you can, just let me know. Mrs. Valerie skubby1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you... of course I can! I just uploaded it to the page :).

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much. I truly appreciate it. You rock ruth. Mrs. Valerie

    ReplyDelete