Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Hedgie's Surprise

We are continuing our Jan Brett unit with Hedgie's Surprise... an adorable story about a hen who wants to save her eggs from the Tomten who keep stealing them for breakfast.  The hero of the story is everyone's favourite hedgehog.... Hedgie. 

Read Jan Brett's newsnotes about the story.

I found this hen craft on net.  I love using the children's handprints for the wings and comb.  I didn't use paper plates though, we just cut 2 different sized circles from white construction paper.  Here's another handprint hen craft that is really cute.  We also made cute little chicks for Henny. 

The children painted chicks and then dictated a story to me.


Here is another cute chick craft that I really liked.
We made pom pom hedgehogs.  This craft would go with most of Jan Brett's books as Hedgie is in so many of them.
Of course we had to do The Chicken Dance

Searching for songs to go with our unit, I came across this way too cute Spring Chicken song.

Spring Chicken
 
One mother hen sat on 4 little eggs
Keeping them warm in her little egg nest
Then one day she heard a crack
And a little voice said, as the egg was hatched;
I’m… a…spring chicken
I’m yellow and small
My feathers are fluffy
And they’re keeping me warm
My legs are not long
S o I’ll never be tall
But I’m a real spring chicken
And I’m having a ball!
Chicken I’m a chicken, I’m a havin’ a ball!

One mother hen sat on 3 little eggs
Keeping them warm in her little egg nest
Then one day she fell asleep
And a little voice said in a whispered tweet
I’m… a…spring chicken
I’m yellow and small
My feathers are fluffy
And they’re keeping me warm
My legs are not long
So I’ll never be tall
But I’m a real spring chicken
And I’m having a ball!
Chicken I’m a chicken, I’m a havin’ a ball!

One mother hen sat on 2 little eggs
Keeping them warm in her little egg nest
Then one day she moved about
And a little voice said, as a chick popped out
I’m… a…spring chicken
I’m yellow and small
My feathers are fluffy
And they’re keeping me warm
My legs are not long
So I’ll never be tall
But I’m a real spring chicken
And I’m having a ball!
Chicken I’m a chicken, I’m a havin’ a ball!

One mother hen sat on 1 little egg
Keeping it warm in her little egg nest
Then one day she gave a sigh
And a little voice said, “SURPRISE! SURPRISE!!”
I’m… a…spring chicken
I’m yellow and small
My feathers are fluffy
And they’re keeping me warm
My legs are not long
So I’ll never be tall
But I’m a real spring chicken
And I’m having a ball!
Chicken I’m a chicken, I’m a havin’ a ball!

~ by Mark and Helen Johnson ~

We also used a song I created to learn the names of the chicken family.  I use this song for all the animal families and it really helps the children learn the correct names for Mom, Dad, and baby.

The Chicken Family
Sung to: "The Farmer in the Dell"

The Mommy chicken's a hen
The Mommy chicken's a hen
The Mommy chicken, the Mommy chicken
The Mommy chicken's a hen.

The Daddy chicken's a rooster
The Daddy chicken's a rooster
The Daddy chicken, the Daddy chicken
The Daddy chicken's a rooster.

The baby chicken's a chick
The baby chicken's a chick
The baby chicken, the baby chicken
The baby chicken's a chick.

~ by Ruth ~

Test how well the children were listening to the story with these comprehension worksheets - page 1 and page 2.

Print Hedgie's Surprise bookmarks from Jan's site.  I love the one with Hedgie and Henny!

Jan Brett has also posted some colouring pages to go with the story:
Henny!
The mischief-maker of the story... the Tomten refusing his porridge.
Here is Goosey-Goosey with her goslings.
Children can colour Hedgie with the strawberry surprise.
Henny's adorable chicks.

I created a life cycle of a chicken poster and worksheet printout.

No comments:

Post a Comment